thrifting....101

7.12.12


Thrift shopping is the basis for my styling with kids. Most kids items in thrift stores max out at $2.98, and half of the time, it’s buy one, get one free. So, buying second hand is economical, and I think, really fun! Some people think, that the only people who shop in the Salvation Army, have to shop there. But, I can assure you that there are stylists, prop stylists, vintage resale shops, and total fashionistas there as well. It's like digging for buried treasure!

Second hand stores can have enormously long rows of racks, and it can get a dizzying. I’ve found that the "good" items, really do stand out from the crowd. High quality fabrics tend to draw my eye, as do more neutral colors. My girls handed down all the trendy, sparkly, very pink items, and that’s the majority of what I see in the second hand shops. But, high quality sweaters, cashmere, wool, and cotton seem to be begging to go home with someone. Also, grey’s, blacks, and pale beautiful pastels almost have arrows pointing down from the ceiling at them. Many times, I see a great pale pink shirt, and pick it up to find a very expensive European label. I’ve also found plain, never worn, basic Petite Bateau shirts in grey, navy, and white on the racks. Not to mention, occasionally, I score a one of a kind, hand sewn by some incredible seamstress article, and inside my head all I hear is "OMG did I really just find that here"!




zoe showing off her skills in a thrifted tunic and shorts from salvation army , and huarache sandals from olvera st. in downtown los angeles. the hula hoop and white duct tape cost more than the enitre outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment